Friday, February 10, 2012

R.I.P. Theophilus Brown

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/10/BAE51N59PQ.DTL&feed=rss.news
"Self Portrait" by William Theophilus Brown, 1994. Courtesy of Thomas Reynolds / Courtesy of Thomas Reynolds
It's always sad to me when a great painter dies. I'm not as familiar with Brown as I am some of the others from the Bay Area Figurative movement, but he certainly ran around with a lot of my heroes: de Kooning, Diebenkorn, Picasso, and Bischoff.

He lived a long life, may we all be so lucky.

2 comments:

  1. I'm only slightly familiar with his work, but I enjoy most of the Bay Area Figurative artists. It seems like an era is coming to end with a lot of my favorite painters dying or not long dead.

    Glad to know someone is reading my blog, though :)

    ReplyDelete