Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why should marriage last forever? - Salon.com

Why should marriage last forever? - Salon.com:

'via Blog this'

I'm probably going to get in trouble with my wife for writing about this, but it just seems like such an interesting concept. In some ways, it seems like a really good idea. You check in every once in a while and see if things are going where you want them to. If they aren't, you'll have a less messy way out. If it's all good, you move on. Good for you.

However, considering I might not be married anymore if this were in place here in the USA, it gives me pause. We all hit rough patches, and if we had an easier end to marriage, I might be single right now. In fact, my wife may have left me at the first checkpoint if she had the chance. That would also mean my son never would have been born. It becomes one of those situations, you don't really know how it would have turned out because it didn't happen. Your entire life could be drastically different, but you'll never know.

I can't help being left with the though: plenty of people get divorced, why not make it less painful. I know some people will argue that you shouldn't get married in the first place if you aren't ready for a lifelong commitment. I also think marriage, like having children, is something you can never be prepared for, no matter how much anyone talks your ear off about it, or how much research you do.

Seems like an idea worth considering. In the mean time, we'll see how it plays out in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment